I wanted to address something that I have been asked when I told people about wanting to start this blog... "Why are you giving away the secrets of how you dye your yarn?"
Well, my top four reasons are:
- It took me FOREVER to find some of this information when I started dyeing, and I am always searching for more information. If I can help just a couple of people find a bunch of information in one place, then it will be worth it
- I actually get a lot of questions from people about how I got a certain result, and those questions might be in email, on a forum, or even through texts. It is easier to send everyone to the same spot to get the answers than to give them in multiple places (a.k.a. - it lets me be lazy)
- I would like to think I have a really good memory, but I don't. I have dyed a skein of yarn and went to write down the steps, and forgotten some of them in the short period between putting the dye stock and yarn in the pot, and walking to my notbook/iPad/laptop to write them down
- I don't sell my yarn, so, to be quite honest, I don't care if people are able to replicate it. Heck, if you figure out a way to exactly replicate something I have done, I may actually ask YOU for notes.
- Okay, I know I said 4, but I realized something, and it means there is a 5th one (maybe it is my homage to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? No wait...I didn't start off saying there were three...). Truth is, there really are no secrets to what I do... I got most of the info off the internet, and the rest was trial and error...so really, I am not giving away secrets, but trying to help others avoid some of the pitfalls I have had.